August 10, 2010

The Staff of Life

Pin It
Margaret's Morsels | Garlic Cheese Biscuits

Bread is called the staff of life, but it's not a staple on my dinner table. Occasionally I make cornbread or corn muffins.  When I serve pasta, I heat frozen garlic bread.  For holidays and special occasions, I always make homemade rolls.  The rest of the year my bread basket is empty, except for the few occasions when I need something that's a step up from cornbread, but not as time consuming as homemade rolls.


Recipes for Garlic Cheese Biscuits have been around for decades.  Most of these recipes try to replicate the biscuits served at Red Lobster.  The recipes I've tried over the years made that claim too, but I never thought the biscuits tasted as good as the ones served in the restaurant.  After several unsuccessful endeavors, I finally gave up and decided if I wanted Garlic Cheese Biscuits, I'd have to go to Red Lobster to get them.


Last year, a friend gave me a different version of a recipe for Garlic Cheese Biscuits.  I was skeptical about trying it since I had been disappointed with other versions I'd made in the past.  I compared the ingredients in her recipe to the ones used in other recipes and -- although similar -- there were enough differences that I decided to whip up a batch. I'm glad I did because these Garlic Cheese Biscuits are, as my family calls a good recipe, a "keeper."

Margaret's Morsels | Garlic Cheese Biscuits
I use HeartSmart Bisquick and sharp Cheddar cheese.
You can use regular Bisquick and mild Cheddar cheese instead.

My son never liked my previous attempts at Garlic Cheese Biscuits because they didn't have enough cheese.  He loves the new recipe because it uses a lot more cheese.  My husband thought my previous attempts didn't have enough garlic.  The new version uses garlic powder and garlic salt for a double dose of garlic flavor.  

These minor changes made all the difference and I now have a Garlic Cheese Biscuit recipe my whole family loves.  I'm glad because I don't care for fish and don't want to go to Red Lobster!

Garlic Cheese Biscuits
12 to 15 Servings

2 cups Bisquick
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
2/3 cup milk
2 Tbsp. butter, melted
1/2 tsp. garlic salt

Preheat oven to 400°.  Stir together the first three ingredients.  Add milk and stir until combined.  Place dough in greased muffin cups.  Bake 10 minutes or until lightly browned.  Melt butter and mix with garlic salt.  Brush biscuits generously with butter mixture as soon as they come out of the oven.

© Margaret's Morsels


2 comments:

  1. These look great. I'll have to wait to get the appliances in my kitchen in our new house, but when I do (it will probably be about the time we can all start baking again due to the heat)I'll be sure to try these out. I'm not much on bread either, but I do like a good cornbread. Wanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to try these! There's nothing better than a good garlic cheese biscuit! It sounds so easy, too! (Hi Wanda!) Linda

    ReplyDelete